2007/05/17

Monoculture


I operate a mimi-monoculture of tiny red radishes. In no time all the leafs got occupied by an army of pitch black caterpillars. They had already eaten up about 60% of the leafs when I took action and removed them one by one by hand. I think the timing was still alright as the radishes are soon ready to get harvested.
I wonder if the caterpillars had been less if I had planted the radishes farer away from each other or put other plants in between.

-------

Two days later:
The population recovered. Maybe it's not just the monoculture but also the weakness of easy-to-grow seed.
I wonder what little pitch black caterpillars make a living from when there's no red-radish-monoculture around.
Nevertheless, the radishes are still alive and obliviously producing new leafs. Just a week, buddies, hang on!

No comments: